|Bursts of magic from this staff will pass harmlessly through creatures but will reduce walls and other inanimate obstructions to rubble.|
A beam from a Staff of Tunneling will destroy one wall (or other valid target) per level of enchantment the staff possesses. It addition to walls it will also destroy any statues, doors, turrets* and sentinels it passes through. Monsters hiding within a statue or wall are set loose unharmed when tunneled through. Enchanting this staff will add one charge to the maximum number of charges as well as making each charge tunnel further. Note that some walls, doors and statues in the game cannot be tunneled through, generally having to do with stairways and special features. The walls of treasure rooms and natural crystal will reflect a beam of tunneling and the outer wall of the dungeon will just simply absorb it.
* Because of a known bug in Brogue versions 1.6.2 thru 1.7.3, you cannot kill turrets if they are positioned on the outer border of the dungeon. This is fixed as of 1.7.4.
Tactics:[edit | edit source]
- When paired with a Staff of Obstruction, you have the crux of the Maneuverability Build. Obstruction creates green crystal. Tunneling allows you to tunnel out of it.
- A staff of tunneling can be desirous to a Stealth build as well. It allows you to destroy wall-mounted torches, preventing them from increasing your stealth radius.
- Even a staff with few enchants can be very useful. You can tunnel a dead end just about anywhere, retreat into it and be assured of fighting only one enemy at a time. Even better when paired with a Ring of Clairvoyance.
- It's obviously useful for creating shortcuts and avoiding dangerous routes, like through shallow water or explosive bogs.
- You can create a tunnel to the indestructible outside wall, creating a reflective surface. With one space between you and the outer wall, you can use the reflection to target wands and staves upon yourself, which can yield surprising and useful results.
|\ Staves \|
|Blinking · Conjuration · Discord · Entrancement · Firebolt · Lightning · Obstruction · Poison · Tunneling|