Brogue Wiki
Advertisement
This indispensable scroll will imbue a single item with a powerful and permanent magical charge. A staff will increase in power and in number of charges; a weapon will inflict more damage or find its mark more frequently; a suit of armor will deflect additional blows; the effect of a ring on its wearer will intensify; and a wand will gain expendable charges in the least amount that such a wand can be found with. Weapons and armor will also require less strength to use, and any curses on the item will be lifted.

Scrolls of Enchanting are one of the the central items for character development in Brogue. Think of them as you would a skill point. Avoid wasting these precious scrolls on your beginning items if at all possible. Early on, try find a piece of equipment that you may want to use for the rest of the game. Use your enchantments on this item, until you find other items worth keeping and enchanting. Allocate your enchantments as you see fit among these keeper items.

Almost every item in Brogue can benefit from enchantment with the exception of potions, scrolls and food.

  • Enchanting a ring usually increases its effective radius or the strength of its effect.
  • Enchanting a charm usually increases the duration of its effect and reduces its recharge time. It also recharges the charm.
  • Enchanting a staff will increase the maximum number of charges as well as making each charge more powerful. The added charge can be used immediately.
  • Enchanting a wand will add one or more charges to it depending on the type.
  • Enchanting a weapon or armor provides a double benefit. In addition to increasing its enchantment level by 1, the Strength requirement is decreased by 1. Since you get bonus enchantment levels when you have more strength than is required, each time you further enchant a weapon or armor, you increase the effective enchantment level by 1.25.

Unlike most items in Brogue, the generation of scrolls of enchanting is not entirely random. Brogue meters the amount of scolls available over the course of a seed (specific dungeon) in order to assure that you will have enough but not too many. You should expect to find 14.8 scrolls of enchanting per seed on average (98.3% of runs get 11-18, range 4-22, median 15).[1] Scrolls of enchanting are also sometimes found in hidden rooms and vaults.

As of BrogueCE 1.10.1, these are percent chances for a certain number of enchant scrolls to have spawned down to a current floor:

                           ~65%                               ~27%
           |---------------------------------| |-------------------------------|
               ~25%        ~23%        ~18%        ~13%        ~9%         ~6%
level  1:   1 => 41.6,  0 => 39.4,  2 => 15.6,  3 =>  3.0,  4 =>  0.4
level  2:   1 => 34.6,  2 => 31.3,  3 => 14.6,  0 => 14.5,  4 =>  4.1,  5 => 0.8
level  3:   2 => 32.4,  3 => 24.5,  1 => 22.2,  4 => 11.0,  0 =>  5.9,  5 => 3.3
level  4:   3 => 29.2,  2 => 26.0,  4 => 19.2,  1 => 12.0,  5 =>  8.2,  6 => 2.4
level  5:   3 => 28.1,  4 => 24.6,  2 => 18.8,  5 => 13.7,  1 =>  6.6,  6 => 5.3
level  6:   4 => 27.0,  3 => 23.5,  5 => 19.5,  2 => 12.1,  6 =>  9.6,  7 => 3.4
level  7:   4 => 25.6,  5 => 23.9,  3 => 17.3,  6 => 14.9,  2 =>  7.0,  7 => 6.6
level  8:   5 => 25.4,  4 => 21.3,  6 => 20.1,  3 => 11.3,  7 => 11.1,  8 => 4.4
level  9:   6 => 23.7,  5 => 23.6,  7 => 16.1,  4 => 15.7,  8 =>  7.9,  3 => 6.8
level 10:   6 => 24.3,  7 => 20.7,  5 => 19.4,  8 => 12.4,  4 => 10.4,  9 => 5.5
level 11:   7 => 23.5,  6 => 22.0,  8 => 17.3,  5 => 14.1,  9 =>  9.2,  4 => 6.2
level 12:   7 => 23.3,  8 => 21.3,  6 => 17.6,  9 => 13.8,  5 =>  9.3, 10 => 6.7
level 13:   8 => 23.2,  7 => 20.5,  9 => 18.4,  6 => 12.7, 10 => 10.6,  5 => 5.6
level 14:   8 => 22.3,  9 => 21.8,  7 => 16.1, 10 => 15.1,  6 =>  8.2, 11 => 7.8
level 15:   9 => 22.9, 10 => 19.4,  8 => 19.1, 11 => 12.0,  7 => 11.3, 12 => 5.6
level 16:  10 => 22.1,  9 => 21.2, 11 => 16.5,  8 => 14.5, 12 =>  9.1,  7 => 7.2
level 17:  10 => 22.4, 11 => 20.2,  9 => 17.6, 12 => 13.4,  8 => 10.0, 13 => 6.7
level 18:  11 => 22.2, 10 => 20.1, 12 => 17.7,  9 => 13.0, 13 => 10.4,  8 => 6.3
level 19:  11 => 21.7, 12 => 21.0, 10 => 16.1, 13 => 14.8,  9 =>  8.7, 14 => 7.8
level 20:  12 => 22.2, 13 => 18.8, 11 => 18.8, 14 => 11.8, 10 => 11.6, 15 => 5.7
level 21:  13 => 21.5, 12 => 20.8, 14 => 16.1, 11 => 14.6, 15 =>  9.0, 10 => 7.6
level 22:  13 => 21.9, 14 => 19.9, 12 => 17.4, 15 => 13.2, 11 => 10.2, 16 => 6.7
level 23:  14 => 21.9, 13 => 19.8, 15 => 17.4, 12 => 13.1, 16 => 10.3, 11 => 6.6
level 24:  14 => 21.4, 15 => 20.7, 13 => 16.0, 16 => 14.5, 12 =>  9.0, 17 => 7.8
level 25:  15 => 21.9, 14 => 18.6, 16 => 18.6, 13 => 11.7, 17 => 11.7, 18 => 5.7
level 26:  16 => 21.3, 15 => 20.6, 17 => 15.9, 14 => 14.6, 18 =>  9.0, 13 => 7.8


For example, by the time you finish floor 6, there should be a 27% chance for you to have picked up 4 enchant scrolls and a 70% chance for you to have picked up 3–5 enchant scrolls (presuming you've actually gotten them all). Other enchant scroll counts beyond those shown here are possible, but unlikely (<~3%).

In detail, the game assigns a frequency of occurence to every scroll type as an integer of a certain magnitude relative to its comrades (e.g. 30 to identify, 10 to teleportation, etc., with this implying that identify occurs more often than teleportation).[2][3] All scrolls have a fixed frequency of occurence except enchant scrolls, which are set to a frequency of 60 at the outset of play.[4] This is incremented by 30 at the start of level generation for each floor (so it actually starts at 90),[5] and is decremented by 50 whenever an enchant scroll is placed.[6]

In short, enchant scrolls start out commonplace among scrolls and become moreso as long as the game hasn't placed one, but right after the game does place one the chance of the next scroll being an enchant goes down. This ensures that enchant scrolls occur frequently but keeps them from bunching up too much.

A few other things make an impact on the enchant scroll occurrence rate. Every level gets a random number of items, minimum 3, that can theoretically be limitlessly large but tends to fall within 3–5 and rarely goes beyond 10.[7] Beyond this, floors 1 and 2 get two extra items,[8], and floors 3 and 4 get one extra item,[9] so you're more likely to find an enchant scroll on those floors (simply because you're more likely to find anything). Also, the chance of the game placing a scroll next out of any eligible item category is 33.6%.[10][11]

Among the "metered" items, enchant scrolls have no guarantees made about their occurrence, in contrast to food[12] ahd potions of life.[13] As a result, their rates of occurence per floor vary relatively more between seeds than those items, but still tend to be within a narrow range. Potions of strength also use a system of increasing/decreasing chance to occur.[14][15]

  1. http://hastebin.com/kehicipuru.erl
  2. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Globals.c#L2402
  3. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L348
  4. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/RogueMain.c#L187
  5. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/v1.10.1/src/brogue/Items.c#L523
  6. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L660
  7. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L524
  8. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L529
  9. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L531
  10. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L76
  11. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L614
  12. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L622
  13. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L632
  14. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L522
  15. https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/blob/eb3df24344329fa295996e523bf04c705722386e/src/brogue/Items.c#L668


Scrolls
Goodglyph.png Discord · Goodglyph.png Enchanting · Goodglyph.png Identify · Goodglyph.png Magic mapping · Goodglyph.png Negation · Goodglyph.png Protect armor
Goodglyph.png Protect weapon · Goodglyph.png Recharging · Goodglyph.png Remove curse · Goodglyph.png Sanctuary · Goodglyph.png Shattering · Goodglyph.png Teleportation
Badglyph.png Aggravate monsters · Badglyph.png Summon monsters
Advertisement