|A prism of shoulder-high mirrored surfaces gleams in the darkness.|
- Throw a potion of descent, lure a pit bloat. A special branch of code will destroy the totem, to prevent the next floor from being impassable.
- Obstruct him with an enemy/ally (including spectral blades from staff of conjuration). The totem will pull him, not you.
- Use staff of blinking (sometimes, when it’s possible to avoid glyphs).
- Use staff of tunneling (sometimes, when the guarded thing is available in such a fashion).
- Use area-of-effect negation.
- Block sight with staff of obstruction.
- Become invisible using an Invisibility Charm or potion. When you're invisible instead of pulling you the totem "flashes, reflecting the red glow of the glyph beneath you."
These strategies don’t work:
- Use potion of levitation. The glyphs will still trigger, and totem will beckon you.
- Use Wand of Negation. The totem will reflect it back at you!
Exploiting the Totem
If you encounter the totem, consider using its reflective properties in your favor. Staves that you can't normally target yourself with can be applied to you if cast on the totem and reflected back at you, such as staves of healing, haste, or protection.
This also applies to wands. Teleportation will act like a scroll of teleportation, negation can be used to strip any effects on you (positive or negative!), invisibility will place a pretty long-lasting invisibility effect on you, and plenty will provide you with a unique ally... a clone of you (but without your armor or equipment)!
|The charming inhabitants of the dungeon: