|This tentacled nightmare will emerge from the subterranean waters to ensnare and devour any creature foolish enough to set foot into its lake.|
Krakens are very powerful aquatic monsters of the mid and lower depths. They are at home in shallow or deep water, but they largely avoid the fetid water of bogs. Krakens deal very high damage per hit and have very high HP, and as such, should be treated like eels would be during the beginning of the game. In general, if sufficient gear or a very powerful weapon is not present by depth 11, water should be avoided at all costs.
Krakens grapple their victim and flee at low health. Krakens’ fleeing is exacerbated by their speed and abiity to submerge (note that all fired bolts will miss submerged creatures, regardless of the caster's location). Kraken also regenerate quickly, making themselves attack the player sooner if not dealt with properly.
As stated previously, the best way to escape from a Kraken is to not fight it. As Krakens seize the player, this cannot be done with regular movement.
- Staffs of Blinking are not limited by seizing, and can be used to escape.
- Potions or charms of levitation can be used to escape, as aquatic monstes cannot attack flying creatures.
- Guardian Charms can cause Krakens to flee.
- Scrolls and charms of teleportation will get most likely get you out of the Kraken's line of sight.
- Wand of Teleportation and Potion of Descent will throw the kraken somewhere, possibly to dry land.
- Hitting the Kraken with a weapon of Force will throw it away, breaking the grip and giving you some time to escape.
- A Staff of Entrancement will break a Kraken's grip, and let you walk away from them.
- Confusion gas can cause a Kraken to move away from the player, but unless you're wearing Armor of Respiration, you'll probably be affected too.
Note that none of these solutions will explicitly get rid of the problem (the Kraken).
| The charming inhabitants of the dungeon: