When you first see or pick up a weapon, you will only know what type of weapon it is. There can be quite a lot more to weapons:
- 60% of weapons are generated without any enchantment.
- 20% of weapons are generated with a random enchantment from +1 to +3. In the Brogue community, they are often referred to as "blessed". These weapons have a percentage chance of having a positive runic effect based on the following formula:
- (10 - min damage) / 8 * 100. The enchantment bonus of the weapon is not included in the damage for this calculation. For weapons that attack slowly, their damage is considered to be half the actual value. For rapiers, which attack quickly, the damage is considered to be twice the actual value.
- If a blessed weapon is not given a runic, there is a 10% chance it will be given an additional +1 to its enchantment, a 1% chance it will be given +2, a .1% chance it will be given +3, and so on.
- 20% of weapons are generated with a random enchantment from -1 to -3. These weapons will also be generated cursed. They have a flat 33% chance to possess a negative runic effect. (A heavy weapon like a broadsword can have a bad runic if cursed, even though it will never have a good runic if blessed).
- The enchantment level a weapon starts with does not change its strength requirement.
A Potion of Detect Magic will reveal whether a weapon is enchanted, and whether it is a positive or negative enchantment, this is often referred to as soft-ID. Slaying 20 enemies with a weapon will reveal its exact enchantment bonus, and the presence (but not type) of a runic if one exists. If at any point the runic effect triggers, then it is identified. A Scroll of Identify will reveal the exact bonus of the weapon and all details of any runic present.
A cursed weapon will reveal itself immediately when equipped, although the exact nature of the curse will remain a mystery. It is impossible to remove, drop or switch to another weapon until the curse has been removed. Note that the only effect of removing a curse is that it allows the weapon to be wielded and removed freely. It does not remove any other negative properties that the weapon may possess. There are three ways to remove a curse from a weapon.
- By applying a Scroll of Remove Curse. This will also remove every curse from every item in your inventory.
- By applying a Scroll of Protect Weapon while wielding the cursed weapon. This will protect the weapon from acid attack as well as removing the curse.
- By applying a Scroll of Enchantment to the cursed weapon. This is the least desirable option as it wastes a valuable enchant scroll.
Sword type weapons are standard, and only strike the monster you attack. One attack per turn.
- Dagger: 3-4 damage, 12 strength, does 5x damage on sneak attacks. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 88% will be runic.
- Sword: 7-9 damage, 14 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 38% will be runic.
- Broadsword: 14-22 damage, 19 strength. never has a positive runic
Mace type weapons take two turns to attack when they hit but deal greater damage.
- Mace: 16-20 damage, 16 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 25% will be runic.
- War Hammer: 25-35 damage, 20 strength, never has a positive runic.
Spear type weapons strike the monster you attack, and also the one directly behind it.
- Spear: 4-5 damage, 13 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 75% will be runic.
- War Pike: 11-15 damage, 18 strength, never has a positive runic.
Axe type weapons attack all adjacent monsters, even diagonally.
- Axe: 7-9 damage, 15 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 38% will be runic.
- War Axe: 12-17 damage, 19 strength, never has a positive runic.
Rapiers attack twice per turn, but deal very low damage per strike. A rapier also allows you to lunge at an enemy by moving directly toward it when there is 1 square between the two of you. Lunge attacks deals triple damage and never miss.
- Rapier: 3-5 damage, 15 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 50% will be runic.
Whips deal low damage but can attack enemies from up to 5 spaces away.
- Whip: 3-5 damage, 14 strength. Of the 20% that are blessed, about 88% will be runic.
Flails deal moderate damage and allow free attacks when moving between two spaces adjacent to an enemy.
- Flail: 10-13 damage, 17 strength, never has a positive runic.
Throwing weapons are made to be thrown, but can be wielded/equipped as well. They are never generated with any enchantment bonus, and are never runic.
- Darts: 2-4 damage, 10 strength
- Incendiary Darts: 1-2 damage, 12 strength (also cause burning)
- Javelins: 3-11 damage, 15 strength
Weapons can have the following runics:
All items (27)